Thursday, 27 December 2012

Being an Atheist at Christmas

Over the last few days I've read a lot of posts that slate Atheists as hypocrites for celebrating Christmas. The whole Saturnalia thing aside, I quite happily celebrate Christmas and without the slightest feeling of hypocrisy.

How do I do that?

Same as an ever increasing number of people, I do not experience Christmas as a religious holiday, for either Christianity or Paganism. It is simply a good ending to another year of hard work involving me having a few extra days off work, getting loads of presents and money, and stuffing my face with Turkey, followed by spending the next few months stuffing my face with all the chocolate I received.
 The fact that some people celebrate the birth of the result of God non-consentially impregnating Mary on this day, or that the Pagans use it to celebrate solstice is entirely inconsequential to me.

At this time of year, there is almost as much bleating from militant Atheists who are easily offended by someone wishing them a Merry Christmas or who object to a public school having a nativity scene with carols containing religious-overtones as there is from Christians criticizing Atheists for daring to celebrate THEIR holiday. This is where live-and-let-live really should win out.

We all have our own reasons for celebrating this time of year. Lets just let everyone celebrate for their own reasons and have a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment